lunes, 29 de septiembre de 2008

No a primera vista

Hoy es el turno de un soneto de Philip Sidney. Cuando tenga más tiempo prometo traducirlo. De momento ahí va en versión original. Mi parte preferida es el segundo cuarteto, lo señalo en negrita.


Not at the first sight, nor with a dribbed shot,

Love gave the wound, which, while I breathe, will bleed;

But known worth did in mine of time proceed,

Till by degrees it had full conquest got.


I saw and liked; I liked but loved not;

I loved, but straight did not what love decreed;

At length to love's decrees I, forced, agreed,

Yet with repining at so partial lot.



Now even that footstep of lost liberty

Is gone, and now, like slave-born Muscovite,

I call it praise to suffer tyranny;


And now employ the remnant of my wit

To make me self believe that all is well,

While, with a feeling skill, I paint my hell.

No hay comentarios: